What is Auto Insurance?
Auto insurance protects you against financial loss if you are involved in an accident. It is a contract between you and the insurance company. You agree to pay the premium and the insurance company agrees to pay your losses as defined in your policy.
Auto insurance provides liability and uninsured motorist coverage as required by state laws:
- Liability is usually split into coverage for Bodily Injury Liability and Property Damage Liability and pays for your selected limit of coverage.
- Uninsured Motorist covers the injuries to you or your passengers when you are injured by a driver that doesn’t have insurance.
- Some states also require Personal Injury Protection (sometimes called No-fault) coverage. Missouri doesn’t offer PIP and it is required in Kansas. This pays for your own medical expenses even if it is the other driver’s fault.
Optional coverage may include:
- Under-Insured Motorist pays for the injuries of you or your passengers for the difference between the at-fault driver’s liability insurance and your selected limits of coverage.
- Medical Payments coverage pays for medical bills up to a pre-selected limit.
- Comprehensive physical damage coverage pays for most damage to your vehicle that is unintentional and not a collision with another object. You will pay a deductible before this coverage applies.
- Collision physical damage coverage pays for damage to your vehicle due to an unintentional collision with an object. Again, you will pay a deductible before this coverage applies.
- Rental Reimbursement coverage pays a daily limit for a rental car if the Comprehensive or Collision coverage applies.
- Towing/Roadside Assistance varies significantly and should be discussed with your agent to meet your specific needs.
If you're financing a car, your lender will require Comprehensive and Collision coverage (sometimes referred to as “Full Coverage”).
There is much to consider in selecting proper auto insurance coverage to meet your needs. Please discuss your specific needs with your Independent Insurance Express
Quick Auto Insurance Quotes